Friday, July 26, 2013

Lining Up What Really Matters

Commitment means to be dedicated; engaged; a willingness to give time and energy (I also added resources) to something that you believe in; a promise or firm decision to do something; a declaration or assurance that one will do a particular thing or that guarantees that a particular thing will happen.

I have defined commitment because the other day I was assessing my goals for the remainder of the year.  I wanted to see where I was on the goals, what I needed to do to make them happen and to see if my time frames for completion of the goals were realistic.  I had to make a decision about what I was really going to be committed to.  I hate starting things and not following through.  I would rather shave the list down than keep goals on the list that would have me overwhelmed and disappointed for not finishing them.

What were the goals I would dedicate myself to? What were the goals that I would give my time, energy and resources to? What goals would I guarantee completion of?  In making my decision, the first thing I did was list what I was currently dedicated to.  This list turned out to be my personal core values.  My list included God, my husband, my children, my purpose, my church and my job.  After this list I was able to look at the goals that I set and make a decision about what would be completed before this year was out.

I had never done an assessment like this before.  Normally I start out the year so excited and ready to conquer everything and every issue. I'll get a scriptures to back me up - not realizing that I've overwhelmed myself and ended up with an unrealist to do list.  Those days are over for me.  From now on I am going to line my goals up with my core values - those things that I'm dedicated to - those things that I'm promised to - those things that I'm willing to put my time, energy and resources into.  And just like seasons change; I understand that my core values may shift - but I look forward to fruitful, productive and prosperous gains from being committed to what really matters.       

No comments:

Post a Comment